Monday, July 31, 2023

Opinion Today: Can anorexia be inherited?

It does run in families — but that's not the full story.

By Jillian Weinberger

Senior Producer, Opinion Audio

I became a journalist to tell stories about other people, not about myself. I never thought I would write, much less try to publish, a personal story.

But then, last summer, my husband and I found out we were having a baby girl. I panicked. I've had an eating disorder for much of my life, and I worried that my daughter would inherit my anorexia (the overwhelming majority of patients with anorexia and bulimia nervosa are female). I started talking to friends and family about my concerns and realized that many women I know have similar fears. Perhaps they don't suffer from an eating disorder, but they have negative feelings about their weight and their bodies, and they worry about their daughters being plagued by the same.

I thought sharing my story might help. I learned a lot in reporting and writing this essay — about the latest research on eating disorders and heritability, the nature versus nurture debate in psychology and about myself and how I want to parent.

I discovered that anorexia does run in families — women who have family members with the condition are 11 times as likely to develop the disease than those without affected family. But I also came away from my research knowing that no one's fate is sealed at birth. The environment in which children are brought up matters.

The experience renewed my determination to raise my daughter in a home without scales or rigid diets, in a family that enjoys and celebrates with food.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Here's what we're focusing on today:

More From Opinion

THE CONVERSATION

The Biden Family Drama Is Far From Over

And it's not because of Commander's biting practices.

By Gail Collins and Bret Stephens

Article Image

MICHELLE COTTLE

How Trump Could Wreck Things for Republicans in 2024

The governor's race in New Hampshire offers a window into the ways Trump could complicate the lives of down-ballot G.O.P. candidates.

By Michelle Cottle

Article Image

GUEST ESSAY

Women's 'Weak Language' Is a Secret Source of Strength

If you don't mind, I think I'd like to propose a theory about gender norms. Would that work?

By Adam Grant

Article Image

GUEST ESSAY

Telling the Truth in a Story-Haunted South

The PBS series "Southern Storytellers" reminds us that, despite stereotypes, human beings are infinitely more complex than we often imagine they are.

By Margaret Renkl

Article Image

GUEST ESSAY

A Deeply Human Experience You'll Never Have on Your Couch

The Barbenheimer phenomenon reminded us of something we'd forgotten: The moviegoing experience is about so much more than what's onscreen.

By Mark Jacobson

Article Image

GUEST ESSAY

What 'Oppenheimer' Doesn't Tell You About the Trinity Test

As a new generation of Americans learns about the world's first nuclear test, the people who lived through it are being left out of the story again.

By Tina Cordova

Article Image

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Subscribe Today

New York Times Opinion curates a wide range of views, inviting rich discussion and debate that help readers analyze the world. This work is made possible with the support of subscribers. Please consider subscribing to The Times with this special offer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Games Here are today's Mini Crossword, Wordle and Spelling Bee. If you're in the mood to play more, find all our games here.

Forward this newsletter to friends to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com.

If you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving Opinion Today, unsubscribe. To opt out of other promotional emails from The Times, including those regarding The Athletic, manage your email settings. To opt out of updates and offers sent from The Athletic, submit a request.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment