Saturday, July 8, 2023

Opinion Today: Think twice before you check that bag

The preposterous pressure to pack light.

Today, there is intense pressure to pack light and travel exclusively with carry-on, leading to boarding processes so stressful they can feel like the wildebeest stampede from "The Lion King."

Lauren Humphrey

By David Mack

Do you have travel plans this summer? If you're like me, the only thing more stressful than planning a trip is packing for it.

Flying these days feels as if we have no choice but to try to cram everything we want to bring into a carry-on suitcase, no matter how long the trip. For me, that can be a challenging concept. And as I prepare for my own coming travels, I wanted to give my fellow overpackers a voice in my recent guest essay for Times Opinion.

I know I should pack lighter and make things easier for myself, but when I open my small suitcase on the floor of my apartment in preparation for a trip, I also somehow open a Pandora's box of frightening possibilities. Will I work out each morning of this weekend trip even though I'm likely to be indescribably hung over? It's probable, so I had better pack three sets of gym clothes. White T-shirts go with everything, so best to bring a dozen, but don't forget to pack a lot of black because that goes with everything, too. Pack one pair of underwear for each day of the trip, my rule goes, plus an additional pair for each day should I somehow spend the week soiling myself.

Of course, more often than not, I cycle between the same sweater and shirt, only to return home with a bag of spotless clothes I haven't worn once.

But writing my essay made me wonder: At what point is this pressure to pack lighter a sad indictment of the once glamorous — but presently miserable — experience that is modern air travel? It feels as if the industry deregulation that began in the 1970s has gifted us with lower fares, but at the cost of the things that made flying tolerable. We're now being nickel and dimed on everything from leg space to headsets to luggage. And with just four airlines now controlling 80 percent of the U.S. market, the competition is not among the companies — as it should be — but among passengers fighting for overhead bin space. "Checked bags used to be free!" I will mutter to my grandchildren one day as they put me in a nursing home.

Writing this piece, I decided to call up a professional traveler to get her advice on how best to pack for a trip. What she told me changed my view of not just packing, but travel itself. I hope you find it as illuminating as I did.

Happy travels.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Subscribe Today

New York Times Opinion curates a wide range of views, inviting rich discussion and debate that help readers analyze the world. This work is made possible with the support of subscribers. Please consider subscribing to The Times with this special offer.

Games Here are today's Mini Crossword, Wordle and Spelling Bee. If you're in the mood to play more, find all our games here.

Forward this newsletter to friends to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

If you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving Opinion Today, unsubscribe. To opt out of other promotional emails from The Times, including those regarding The Athletic, manage your email settings. To opt out of updates and offers sent from The Athletic, submit a request.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment