Saturday, August 12, 2023

Opinion Today: Why I bring up climate change on first dates

I want to be with someone who's not afraid to confront the unknown of our environment's future.

If relationships depend on a shared fantasy of the future, then global warming does more than unsettle our environment; it creates uncertainty in our interpersonal ones.

Kelsey Dake

By Erica Berry

I did not think about "dating" and "global warming" in the same sentence until the summer of 2020, when record-breaking wildfires led my then boyfriend and I to pack a pre-emptive go bag. Just as it had not occurred to me that I might have to quarantine beside a romantic partner, I had never thought about our having to flee together, either. I knew climate change was exacerbating wildfires — they had forced my family in Montana to evacuate before — but until that summer, I had the privilege of insulation. Global warming was something I could opt into reading or talking about, but I could also ignore it. Now, as we lined our windows with wet rags to keep out the air of Portland, Ore., which was suddenly the worst in the world, I understood global warming wasn't some abstract force "out there," it was with us in the apartment, disrupting my domestic life.

In 1920, Marcel Proust wrote, "A change in the weather is sufficient to create the world and oneself anew." In my essay this week, I explore how the extreme weather of the last few years has influenced my search for romantic partnership. I don't just want to be with someone who believes in the science of climate change; I want to be with someone willing to grapple with its effects on our shared life. It's not just about whether we want to have children; it's about what sort of future we want to carve for ourselves in this uncertain time.

I'm not alone in feeling my love life has been shaped by the past few years of climate disaster and pandemic. In 2022, global warming was the top concern for OkCupid daters.

What might "climate compatibility" look like? I don't think it means a couple needs to have equal levels of environmental anxiety, but I do think we all deserve to feel understood and safe within our romantic relationships. Not just literally, when facing evacuations in extreme weather, but figuratively, when we express our dreams or fears about tomorrow. We are facing an unprecedented problem, and it needs unprecedented solutions. Relationships can help distract and insulate us from the outside world, but I think they can also help us to learn how to better face it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Here's what we're focusing on today:

THE WEEK IN BIG IDEAS

Article Image

Iris Schneider/Los Angeles Times, via Getty Images

ROSS DOUTHAT

Why Barbie and Ken Need Each Other

For women maybe first, and for men too, eventually, less wedlock means more woe.

By Ross Douthat

Article Image

Joohee Yoon

GUEST ESSAY

Dog Parks Are Great for People. Too Bad They're Terrible for Dogs.

They aren't oases. They're thunderdomes for pooches.

By Julie V. Iovine

Article Image

Illustration by The New York Times; images by CSA Images/Getty Images

PETER COY

Will 'Future You' Thank 'Today You' for Getting Married?

Marriage has clear benefits, but whether they're worthwhile is hard to know before taking the leap.

By Peter Coy

Article Image

Ibrahim Rayintakath

DAVID WALLACE-WELLS

Why Is America Such a Deadly Place?

A study found millions of Americans would be alive if our mortality rates matched our economic peers'.

By David Wallace-Wells

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Subscribe Today

New York Times Opinion curates a wide range of views, inviting rich discussion and debate that help readers analyze the world. This work is made possible with the support of subscribers. Please consider subscribing to The Times with this special offer.

Games Here are today's Mini Crossword, Wordle and Spelling Bee. If you're in the mood to play more, find all our games here.

Forward this newsletter to friends to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

If you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving Opinion Today, unsubscribe. To opt out of other promotional emails from The Times, including those regarding The Athletic, manage your email settings. To opt out of updates and offers sent from The Athletic, submit a request.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment